Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My sister - My best friend

"She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities.  She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway.  She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark.  She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink.  Some days, she's the reason you wish you were an only child"

Sisters. Confidantes. Best friends. Protectors.

This is what Raga and I have been from day one.
People who meet us now, as adults, ask us if we have always been so close. People find that so funny especially since there is a 5 year age gap between us. Raga has always been like a best friend that I can never get rid of.
I still remember the day she was born. I was soooo excited to have a baby sister to play with and someone who would be my best friend.
Ever since she was a kid she's had a very serious front but then can be quirky and funny at times. Even though we have a big age difference, she's the more mature one (or I don't know if it's because I never actually grew up)




She often advices me which I find amusing.
In college, I’d often come home to hear her waiting to hear about my day and what happened.

While we have had our moment, certainly, I have always been so grateful for my sister and the loving, caring, wonderful sister bond we share.
We both know that no matter what, we will always be there for each other. We will always be so proud of each other’s accomplishments, and be each other’s biggest cheerleaders.
We will always be there for a hug, a laugh, a cry, a venting session – anywhere, anytime one of us needs it. We will never turn our backs on each other.
Raga is the only person who can make me laugh when I'm down like few people can.
I love how we can be in a crowded room, with many other people, and all it takes is a knowing look at one another to understand that both of us think something is funny. Or outrageous. Or ridiculous.
We understand each other like no one else.
It’s a sister thing.
But although we are so similar in so many ways – our senses of humor, our loyalty to family, our entrepreneurial spirits, our capacities to love, our penchants for gossip – we are very different in many ways, too.
But our differences only serve to complement us even more.
Raga is very expressive. If something is on her mind, she will not hesitate to let you know. Anyone, really, who wants to know. The whole story. From start to finish. And then some.
I am much more reflective. If something is on my mind, I prefer to take my time to think about it on my own. And share when I am ready to share. Only what I want to share. And only with whom I want to share.

Raga is also very smart. I call her the brains of the family.
She plans things in advance and s very ambitious. She has always gone ahead and done whatever she has decided in her mind to do and I admire that about her.


I am so grateful to be able to talk, laugh, and collaborate together. Mom's sister was 12 years older than her so she is like our sister too. We all just have fun together. We respect each other. We love each other.

For Raga, caring about me means caring about the ones I love. And vice versa.
We will always support one another.

We are Sisters. Confidantes. Best friends. Protectors.

No comments:

Post a Comment